Friday, March 17, 2017

A Lipstick Junkie's Dream Come True

     Happy Friday! Today I'm taking you to a lipstick junkie's dream come true, the Bite Lip Lab. I recently went over spring break (read my post here) and holy moly it was amazing. If you don't know what it is, it is a shop where you can create custom lipsticks!
     Currently, there are four different locations, New York, San Francisco, San Jose and Toronto, from my experience at the San Jose location, it wasn't busy at all. In fact, I was the only one there and it was great because I got to know the girls who were working really well and we talked a lot. There are also two different packages. The cheapest one being the custom lipstick, one for $55 and two for $80 and the most expensive one being the bespoke lipstick which is two, custom lipsticks for $150. Don't worry I'll explain both.
    There are three steps in each package but what you do is a little different. In the custom lipstick service, you work by yourself to pick a pigment (color), choose a finish from glossy sheer, matte, or amuse bouche (satin) and the final step is you picking a scent of cherry, mint, vanilla, citrus, mango, violet, coconut, wild berry or fresh citrus.  The bespoke lipstick service one of the lip lab artists will create a custom shade to your exact specifications and you still get to pick the finish and scent. Along with that you also get an exclusive lip lab kit (it's not like Kylie's lip kit) which includes Bite's whipped cherry lip scrub (which smells amazing), an agave lip mask (also amazing) and Bite's define and prime clear lip liner.
    I ended up doing the bespoke lipstick package because if I were by myself I would have made something I wouldn't like, I don't know why but I would, trust me. The girls who were working were extremely nice and the one girl who was working with me was amazing. Before I get into everything else, I'm a lipstick addict (mostly Colourpop) and my collection is gigantic and I probably have too many. My two go-to colors are pink and red, mostly red because I know I look good in it and it can go with a lot. When we (me and the girl) got started she asked me what I wanted, so I told her what colors that I loved (pink and red) and she asked specific questions about what I liked, which was nice because let's be honest, $150 is a lot of money so if you're gonna spend it, you better be specific for what you want. The pink started out as a very nude pink that matched my skin tone (which usually I don't mind but I wouldn't wear it a lot) so I asked her to make it pinker. "Pinker" was my response for about 5-6 more times until we finally created the perfect pink. The final color has a violet scent which is perfect for the color.
    My second color, red, was a lot quicker to make because she could have given me the base pigment and I would have been as happy as a clam. The first red was amazing and Marilyn-esque, which I liked. But another girl who was working suggested we make it brighter and a little lighter, so we did and that was the final product. For the scent I chose mint and vanilla and I'm absolutely in love with it.
    I highly recommend this experience to all makeup and lipstick lovers out there. It's a once in a lifetime deal and in my opinion, totally worth it. For these two being my first Bite lipsticks, the brand is high quality and well made, which was nice to see. If you're ever close to one of the locations, I would recommend it, I had such a good time and wish I could do it again.

Happy creating!
Ken